If you didn’t already know, EDC stands for ‘Everyday Carry’. So if you don’t already have an EDC flashlight, what are you waiting for?
As its name suggests, it truly is something you should carry around with you all the time because you never know when you’re going to get stuck in a difficult situation!
Imagine you go out at night and you end up losing or breaking your phone (trust me, it happens more often than you’d think – I should know!).
You end up walking home alone but it’s pitch black outside and you have no source of illumination because you don’t have your phone and you never invested in an EDC flashlight!
Unfortunately emergencies happen and no one wants to be trapped in the dark without being able to see where they’re going.
For this reason, I truly believe that buying an EDC flashlight is a necessity and you absolutely will not regret it if you do.
Read this useful guide to find the perfect EDC flashlight for you to keep with you at all times so you never have to get stuck in the dark again!
EDC Flashlight Review
Streamlight Microstream USB Rechargeable Pocket Flashlight
This Streamlight EDC flashlight is perfectly compact and will easily fit in both the palm of your hand and your pocket, so you can take it anywhere with you and it’s easy to carry!
The great part about this flashlight is that it has lithium ion batteries that can be recharged within four hours using a USB port, so you don’t have to worry about buying batteries for it.
As long as you make sure it’s charged, it will never run out on you in your moment of need!
And the USB cord to charge it with is already provided for you in the box, along with a strong lanyard, meaning you can even wear it around your neck.
In fact, you can also wear it on your hat because it comes with a removable pocket clip that clips onto the brim of your hat!
In terms of the brightness of it, it has a high mode of 250 lumens and a low mode of 50 lumens, so you can choose which one to put it on depending on your own personal needs.
You’ll also never have to worry about it breaking or scratching easily, as it’s durably made from anodized machined aluminum and has a scratch-proof polycarbonate lens.
Plus, there’s a metal sleeve that gives protection to the charging point.
- Lithium ion batteries – means you don’t have to worry about buying batteries for it because it can be recharged using a USB port, which only takes four hours to fully recharge it!
- USB cord included – already comes with a USB cord to charge it with, so you don’t have to buy it separately
- Comes with lanyard and removable pocket clip – means you can carry it hands-free by having it around your neck or attaching it to the brim of your hat
- Two brightness modes – has a high mode of 250 lumens and a lower mode of 50 lumens, so you can select whichever one you want depending on how dark it is
- Durable – made from anodized machined aluminum, has a scratch-proof polycarbonate lens, and has a metal sleeve to protect the charging port
- Brighter options available – although it is bright enough for you to see well, there are brighter options available on the market
Also Available At
OLIGHT USB Magnetic Rechargeable EDC Flashlight
An incredibly powerful beast, this OLIGHT EDC flashlight produces an insane amount of light for such a small product!
It comes with different modes, the brightest of which shines at 1150 lumens, which means you can see around 135 meters away if you shine the flashlight in a certain direction.
It also has a rechargeable battery that can be charged magnetically through the tailcap charging cable, so you don’t have to worry about constantly buying new batteries all the time and it will always work as long as you make sure to keep it charged up!
It has a very good grip on it, so you won’t drop it if you carry it. But, if you don’t want to actually carry it, it can also be clipped onto a cap brim or onto a backpack strap because it comes with a pocket clip that can clip it on in any direction you need it to be in.
Added to that, due to its magnetic tail, it can conveniently attach onto any surface made out of iron!
Included in the package is also a fast-charging portable charger so you can charge it on the go and have it ready to use in no time if it needs more fuel!
- Shines extremely bright – can shine at 1150 lumens, which means you can see around 135 meters in whichever direction you point it in!
- Rechargeable battery – has a battery that can be charged magnetically, making your life that much easier as you don’t have to buy batteries for it all the time!
- Comes with a pocket clip – means you can use it hands-free and clip it onto your hat or backpack if necessary
- Magnetic tail – it will magnetically attach to any surface made from iron without falling!
- Portable charger included – a fast-charging portable charger comes in the package with it, so you can easily charge it on the go if you ever need to
- Can be slippery if it gets wet – even though the grip is generally good, it’s not recommended for using in the rain because it can become slippery once it gets wet
Also Available At
Streamlight Wedge EDC Pocket Flashlight
Another Streamlight favorite, this flashlight is also extremely compact and designed to be carried in your pocket because it’s that small!
It has two modes: Constant On and THRO (Temporarily Heightened Regulated Output).
Constant On shines at 300 lumens and the THRO mode shines at 1,000 lumens – which is extremely bright – for short 35 second bursts.
Once again, this flashlight is rechargeable using a USB port as it comes with a lithium polymer battery.
It recharges in three hours so you don’t have to hang around for too long waiting for it to be fully charged again!
Its grooved design helps you be able to grip it tightly, meaning you don’t have to worry about it slipping out of your hand when you’re carrying it.
And if you want to carry it in your pocket, it has a removable and reversible pocket clip, meaning it will stay tucked away in there.
It’s a sturdy flashlight, as it’s made with anodized aluminum and it has a polycarbonate lens so it won’t smash easily if you drop it!
- Two different modes – has two modes called Constant On, which shines at 300 lumens, and THRO, which shines at 1,000 lumens in 35 second bursts
- Rechargeable – comes with a lithium polymer battery, meaning it’s rechargeable using a USB port and charges the battery within the space of three hours
- Grooved design – helps you grip it tightly so it won’t slip from your hand very easily if you carry it
- Removable and reversible pocket clip – if you want to carry it in your pocket, it has a pocket clip to help it stay tucked away without falling out
- Sturdy – it’s durable as it’s made from anodized aluminum and it has a polycarbonate lens, so you won’t need to worry about it breaking or smashing easily!
- Battery life could be better – it runs for three hours if you have it on constantly and other products are available with a better battery life, which could be extremely important if you get lost!
Also Available At
Fenix PD40R Rechargeable LED EDC Flashlight
This Fenix EDC flashlight is so bright it can even be meant for professional use and is perfect for carrying around with you at all times because it’s also very light and compact!
It shines at 3,000 lumens, which means you’ll be able to see 442 yards into the distance of whichever direction you shine it in.
This makes it ideal for if you work as a police officer, a security guard or even an army officer!
It has four brightness modes and a strobe mode, which you can easily switch from one to the other using the smooth mechanical switch – so you can change the brightness depending on your own personal needs.
This flashlight is rechargeable due to its 5000mAh battery that comes included in the box, meaning you don’t have to concern yourself with buying batteries for it.
Simply charge it using the fast-charging USB-C port and charging cable – which also comes included in the package.
It will only take up to three and a half hours to fully charge the battery and then you can be on your way, safe in the knowledge your flashlight won’t die on you!
Also included in the package is a holster for your torch, a lanyard so you can wear it hands-free around your neck, and a LumenTac battery case.
- Lightweight and compact – means it’s small enough for you to easily carry around with you
- Extremely bright – shines at 3,000 lumens, which means you can see 442 yards away with it in the dark, making it great for professional use!
- Different brightness modes and strobe mode – it has four different brightness modes as well as a strobe mode, so you can choose which one you want to have it on depending on your own personal needs
- Rechargeable – comes with a 5000mAh battery that can be recharged using the USB-C charging cable that comes included in the package
- Add-ons included – comes with a holster, lanyard and battery case included in the package too!
- Expensive – costs more than others available on the market
Also Available At
SureFire Fury Dual-Fuel Series Intellibeam EDC Flashlight
An extremely tough and durable EDC flashlight, you can be absolutely sure this SureFire light won’t break on you anytime soon!
It has a very strong aerospace-aluminum body and tailcap, which also have a very secure grip on them to make sure you don’t drop it in the first place – but even if you do, the sturdy body won’t break that easily! It is also Mil-Spec hard-anodized so it won’t corrode.
The Intellibeam technology means it automatically adjusts the brightness of the flashlight from 15 to 1,500 lumens depending on the environmental conditions you find yourself in.
If you’d rather, though, you can press the tailcap switch to turn the automatic mode off so you can adjust it yourself.
For example, if you wanted to switch it to the high 1,500 lumens output mode only, all you need to do is (once you’ve clicked the automatic mode off) press the tailcap again within two seconds of turning the automatic mode off.
Amazingly, this flashlight can also run for up to 40 hours, so you never have to worry about it dying on you if you’re lost in the dark!
Included in the package are two 123a lithium batteries so you can use the flashlight straight away once it arrives! You can also get a single 18650 lithium-ion battery that is rechargeable, but you do have to buy this separately as it’s not included in the box.
- Durable – it’s made from aerospace-aluminum and is Mil-Spec hard-anodized so it won’t break if you drop it and it won’t corrode
- Very bright – the highest brightness output is 1,500 lumens, so you’ll be able to see perfectly in the dark!
- Automatically adjusts brightness for you – it will intelligently adjust the brightness automatically depending on the environmental factors around you, but you can also opt out of this automatic mode if you want to
- 40-hour running time – it will stay on for 40 hours straight, so you never have to worry about it dying on you if you get lost in the dark!
- Batteries included – comes with two 123a lithium batteries so you can begin using it right away
- No rechargeable battery included – doesn’t come with a rechargeable battery so you need to buy one yourself
- Expensive – more expensive than other products available on the market
Also Available At
Deciding which EDC flashlight to buy requires some knowledge of exactly what an EDC flashlight is and what kind of features should come with it.
For example, the whole definition of an EDC flashlight is that it has to be compact enough for you to carry around with you everyday and everywhere!
Below I’ve created a buying guide for you so you know exactly what to look out for when it comes to buying the perfect EDC flashlight for your requirements.
Size is an extremely important factor when it comes to EDC flashlights because the whole point of them is that you should be able to have them on you at all times.
This means they should be compact enough to fit comfortably in your hand, in your pocket or on your keychain. Or if you have a clip, you should even be able to carry it on the brim of your hat or on your backpack!
The brightness of a flashlight is obviously crucial because its intended purpose is to help you see in the dark!
The brightness of EDC flashlights is measured in lumens, so look out for this when you’re looking for one to buy. They usually come with different brightness modes, from high to low.
Most good flashlights will have a high output of at least 250 lumens, so try not to go for a product that produces less than that.
When it comes to batteries for EDC flashlights, many come with lithium-ion rechargeable batteries alongside a USB charger, to make life easier for you so you don’t have to worry about buying new batteries for them all the time.
For some you can use normal alkaline batteries (for example AA or AAA ones) but they don’t tend to generate enough power for high lumen outputs.
You’re going to want an EDC flashlight that’s strong and durable. This is because they often get dropped and shaken about when you carry them around with you.
Look out for anything that’s made from a strong material, like aluminum, and also a tough lens that won’t smash easily, for example anything made from polycarbonate.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Do I Need An EDC Flashlight?
An EDC flashlight can be helpful in many different scenarios. This could be something simple like if you experience a power outage, or it could be something more life-threatening such as if you get lost in the dark in the middle of nowhere.
How Bright Should An EDC Flashlight Be?
An EDC flashlight should be at least 250 lumens for a good light quality. For outdoor activities such as camping, you might require a flashlight that has an output of 300 lumens or above.