If you’re in the military or are big on self-defense, you’ll know just how important it is to have a high quality tactical knife amongst your belongings.
Owning a tactical knife says that you mean serious business. You don’t want to be relying on some flimsy little pocket knife to defend you now, do you? If you got that out to defend yourself, your attacker would just laugh at you – I know I certainly would!
Tactical knives are useful in many situations too, not just self-defense. If you had to live in the wild for a period of time, what would you use to kill and gut an animal for food so you don’t starve to death?
If you’re the kind of person who likes to live on the edge of danger or likes the wild, you’ll want to invest in a tactical knife ASAP!
Below is a guide I’ve created of the best tactical knives available on the market, so you can choose the best knife possible because, ultimately, your life may end up depending on it!
Tactical Knife Review
Spyderco Military Model Folding Knife
You might have already heard of this Spyderco tactical knife if you know a lot about the knife world, as it’s a very popular choice that means serious business – it was originally specifically designed to meet the needs of military personnel!
The steel blade is made from CPM S30V, which is a great choice as it has a reputation for having long-term edge retention and rust resistance, meaning it won’t wear down or get destroyed by the elements.
Plus, aesthetically speaking, you can choose between having the blade with a satin finish or a non-reflective coating, depending on your personal preference!
It’s a great size at four inches long, as it’s large enough to be used for heavy work and combat, but is also small enough to be used for any sort of intricate work you want to carry out.
Made with a clip-point profile and a full-flat grind, it provides perfect balance and strength that make it great at cutting things.
It also has a 14mm round hole that you can easily access even when it’s folded up, so you can open the knife super quickly with one hand, meaning it will be instantly ready for whenever you need it most!
- CPM S30V steel blade – means it has long-term edge retention and resistance against rust, so it will last you a very long time!
- Choice of blade finish – you can choose between having a blade with a satin finish or a non-reflective coating
- Good size – at four inches long, the sizing of it is very convenient because it can be used for either tough work or intricate work
- Clip-point profile and full-flat grind – this gives it great balance and strength that in turn provide it with an exceptional cutting ability
- 14mm round hole – you can easily get to the hole when it’s folded to flip open the knife with ease and great speed, meaning you can have it ready for whenever you need it
- Expensive – more expensive than other products available on the market, so might not be the right choice for you if you’re on a bit of a budget
Also Available At
Fox 479 Emerson Wave Folding Karambit
This Fox tactical knife is extremely reliable in some of the most difficult situations you might find yourself in!
It can act as a utility knife or a self-defense knife, depending on what you need it for. It’s manufactured using high quality NC690Co stainless steel, which gives it a fine and consistent edge and makes it resistant against corrosion.
The highly efficient and lethal blade looks great as it’s shaped like a tiger claw for added effect. And it’s made with a black teflon coating to give it a sharp tip and better edge retention, so it makes it even better at doing its job!
A safety ring means you’ll have a secure grip on it so it’ll never let you down by slipping out of your hand, even in situations where the weather or environment is extreme.
The patented Emerson Wave – which was originally designed especially for Navy Seals in self-defense scenarios – also allows you to flip open the knife super quickly and seamlessly using only one hand. Plus, it has an adjustable clip pocket so you can use it with either hand.
- Made from NC690Co stainless steel – this is a high quality steel and it provides the blade with a fine and consistent edge, as well as making it resistant against corrosion
- Black teflon coating – the blade has a black teflon coating, which gives it a sharp tip and better edge retention, making it great at carrying out its job either as a utility knife or a self-defense knife
- Safety ring – means you’ll have a secure grip and hold on it, so it will never fall out of your hand in a vital moment!
- Patented Emerson Wave – this allows you to be able to deploy the knife seamlessly and quickly
- Adjustable pocket clip – provides you with ambidextrous use of it
- Expensive – there are cheaper products available on the market of the same quality
Also Available At
Kershaw Emerson CQC-7K Tactical Knife
This Kershaw Emerson tactical knife is award-winning but affordable, and it has all of the attributes you’d want from a tactical knife!
The knife is perfect for both self-defense and everyday utility tasks, and can be used by professionals, such as people in the armed forces or in law enforcement, or just by anyone who needs a great little pocket knife – even if it is just to show off to your friends!
Its blade is 3.25 inches and is a razor sharp modified tanto blade, so it does its job perfectly and will literally save your life in any given situation you might find yourself in.
The blade is also made from high performance 8Cr14MoV steel that has a dual satin and stonewashed finish to it, making it strong and making it look great at the same time!
It has a thumb disk on the spine of the blade to make opening it super easy for you when it comes to using it for everyday situations.
But, if you need it for self-defense, the Emerson Wave feature allows it to be flipped open as soon as you remove it from your pocket, as long as you pull it out correctly and catch it right!
- Affordable – although it’s very popular and award-winning, it’s still super affordable!
- Razor sharp blade – means it does its job extremely well, whether that’s carrying out everyday utility tasks, or being used in lethal self-defense situations
- 8Cr14MoV steel blade – means the blade is strong and it has a dual satin and stonewashed finish to it, making it look great too!
- Thumb disk – this is on the spine of the blade and allows you to open it extremely easily when it comes to carrying out everyday tasks
- Emerson Wave – in self-defense situations, this feature could be life-saving, as it allows you to open the knife instantly as it’s being pulled from your pocket
- Not the best for ambidextrous use – if you’re left-handed, you might not be able to grip it very well, as it tends to slip more than when you hold it in your right hand
Also Available At
Gerber Gear 06 FAST Knife
This very affordable Gerber tactical knife is a great product and has a serrated edge design meant specifically for combat!
3.75 inches long and made from 7Cr17MoV stainless steel, the knife is extremely strong and durable.
The tanto shape of it also makes it great for combat because it allows for good thrusting movements and this, alongside the serrated bottom edge, will lethally pierce anything that you hit with it!
It has what is called F.A.S.T. forward action spring technology, which involves a spring opening mechanism that lets you flip your knife out very easily and efficiently, so you can be ready for any dangerous situation you might have to face.
It also comes with a safety button, so you don’t accidentally hurt yourself, and once the safety is unlocked, you can deploy the weapon by simply using one hand!
Then, once the knife is open, it has a locking feature, so you can guarantee it will stay where it is without the fear of the blade accidentally closing again whilst you’re right in the middle of a combat situation.
- 7Cr17MoV stainless steel blade – means the blade is extremely strong and sturdy
- Serrated edge – the serrated bottom edge, along with its tanto shape, means it allows for easy thrusting and it will seamlessly pierce anything that gets in the way of it!
- F.A.S.T. forward action spring technology – means it has an opening mechanism that’s assisted by a spring to help you deploy it quickly and easily whilst only using one hand!
- Safety button – stops you from accidentally flipping the blade out so you can avoid any potential injuries that would occur if this happened
- Locking feature – Once open, it will lock into place so it doesn’t accidentally fold back up whilst you’re in the middle of a high-risk, perilous situation
- Blade can potentially wobble – blade can sometimes wobble when you’re trying to use it
Also Available At
ALBATROSS 6-in1 Multi-Function Survival Tactical Knife
Both popular and extremely affordable, this ALBATROSS tactical knife comes with some brilliant added features – let’s just say the word ‘survival’ isn’t included in the title of this knife for no reason!
It comes with a mini LED flashlight, which is waterproof so you don’t have to worry about accidentally dropping it and damaging it in water when you’re on your survival trail!
It also comes equipped with a strong tail hammer to knock or smash tough objects, including glass, and the tail provides you with magnesium sticks that can be used to start a fire.
Added to all of that, it has an emergency rope cutter for cutting vines or cables, so you don’t have to use the blade as it could become damaged, especially if you use it on cables!
All of this means it’s the perfect knife if you ever get lost in the wild because it really can do everything you need in order to survive the great outdoors!
The blade itself is made from high quality stainless steel and is both flat and serrated, making it sharp, durable and great for any situation. Plus, the handle is made of anodized aluminum, which also makes it super sturdy and nice to hold.
The package also includes a pocket clip and nylon bag, designed for easy carrying!
- Affordable – it’s extremely affordable, whilst still being a great tactical knife!
- Comes with great added features – for survival purposes, it comes equipped with a mini waterproof LED flashlight, a strong tail hammer, magnesium sticks to start fires with and a rope cutter
- High quality stainless steel – means the blade is tough and durable, and is also very sharp due to the combination of its flat and serrated design
- Anodized aluminum handle – makes it very sturdy and comfortable to hold
- Pocket clip and nylon bag included – these come included in the package and are designed to make carrying the knife around easier for you!
- Not the best for self-defense – there are other knives available on the market that are better designed for combat situations
Also Available At
If you’re looking to buy a tactical knife, you 100 per cent need to get the selection of it right because becoming an owner of a knife like this probably means you mean serious business and you don’t want anyone to mess with you.
In fact, your life might even depend on this knife if you need it for professional reasons, for example if you work in the armed forces or within law enforcement.
Even if you want it for self-defense, just in case anything happens, it could save your life if that moment ever comes!
Taking that into consideration, you’ll need to understand exactly what to look out for when purchasing one, so we’ve made a buying guide based around tactical knives and what sort of factors you should consider when choosing which is the best one to invest in!
Ease Of Use
Obviously a knife like this has to be easy and convenient to use, especially if you’re using it in a high-risk and dangerous situation.
The blade can be made from the most high quality materials and be great at slicing/cutting things, but if you can’t get it open quickly enough, that doesn’t matter!
Tactical knives can either be folded or fixed. Fixed ones don’t require you to open them up, so are easy and simple to use and deploy. However, they are more difficult to carry around with you.
When it comes to folded ones, this is where you need to make sure they will flip open quickly and easily. The last thing you want is to be standing there struggling to open it up when you’re in the middle of a combat situation.
Look out for an Emerson Wave design, which allows you to flip the knife open easily and seamlessly. And some also have spring mechanisms where you can press a button and they spring open for you. These are very effective in an emergency situation.
Blade Material And Shape
The quality of the material the knife’s blade is made out of is on the high priority list when it comes to purchasing a tactical knife. The blade needs to be good at doing all sorts of things, from utility work to self-defense and combat.
All the best, sharpest and most durable blades are made using a high quality stainless steel, so look out for this in the product description.
In terms of the shape of the blade, it needs to be shaped in a certain way that’s ideal for easy cutting or thrusting. Many blades are made with a tanto design, which is probably the most convenient shape for a knife to be.
A quick word on the pricing of a tactical knife; you can get a very good and effective knife for around $40 to $100, which isn’t too bad.
However, the more expensive the knife is, the better the quality of it will be – so if you do need it for professional use, it might be worth investing a bit more into it.
But, at the end of the day, it’s very much a personal decision when it comes to how much you want to spend!
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Do I Need A Tactical Knife?
A tactical knife is great for so many things. You can use it to cut whatever you want to and, because it’s small, it’s great for carrying around to use for self-defense, just in case you get into a dangerous situation.
It’s also great for professional use if you work in the armed forces or in law enforcement.